Had unprotected sex just after period. Is there any chances of pregnancy?

We have made intercourse with my wife. We didn't use any protection. Total time of last intercourse has been passed for 48 hrs. We have made this intercourse just after one day of periods time was finished. Now how can I check that my wife is pregnant or not.. If she is pregnent, than how can I avoid from baby. Kindly suggest me
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 31 minutes later

Firstly, let me explain the term fertility. If a woman has regular ovulatory cycles occurring once every 28-35 days ( this is normal), she will be considered fertile around the time of ovulation,i.e., between day 11- day 21. Ovulation usually occurs 14 days before the onset of the next period. The chances of conception are high if unprotected intercourse occurs during this fertile period. The rest of the days are considered safe.

Sperms have the capacity to survive for 3-5 days after ejaculation while ovum can survive for a maximum of 24 hours only after ovulation.

If your wife gets regular cycles, you had intercourse during the safe period and chances of conception are literally nil. If you still want some protection, she can take the emergency pill, but let me say, this should be the last choice of contraception as it should be used very rarely only when there is dire necessity.
The pill can be taken within 72 hours up to 5 days after the intercourse depending on the type of pill chosen. Remember, she may have breakthrough bleeding and disturbed cycles for a while after this. Emergency pill offers very good protection if taken within the stipulated time.

You cannot check for pregnancy right now, if everything fails and your wife conceives, which could be the least possibility in this instance. You will only know when she misses a period. You may, get serum beta-hCG levels checked about 4-7 days prior to the next period, that is the earliest possible time. You can get a trans-vaginal sonogram after a week if the period is missed.

If pregnancy is diagnosed, consult your gynecologist, confirm the presence of an intrauterine pregnancy and if you do not wish to continue the pregnancy, you can go for a medical abortion according to your doctor's prescription and follow it up with a sonogram after 2 weeks to confirm evacuation. Remember, medical abortion can be done up to 7-9 weeks, after which surgical methods are needed.

Hope I have clarified your query. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.