Had unprotected sex, have irregular periods and did not take ipill. Suggest medicine to avoid pregnancy?

Question
Hello mam I had intercourse with my husband last Saturday night in which we did not use any protection usually we use condoms as my periods are not regular
Intervals since two months where I can't calculate safe
Days. Now 72 hours is completed also could not find I pill or unwanted 72. So kindly suggest which medication should I follow to avoid pregnancy
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 10 hours later
To avoid conception in fertile period we can use I-pill or high dose oral contraceptive pills also but these are effective when used within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse.
Now the only method to avoid conception is intra-uterine device that can be used within 5 days of unprotected intercourse & it will protect from further unwanted pregnancy.
Second thing you can do is waiting for 14 days & then are investigated for serum-Beta HCG that is a confirmatory test to rule out pregnancy.
If test comes negative nothing to be worried.
However if it comes positive you would have to terminate pregnancy with MT pills like mifepristone & misoprost.
I hope your query has been answered. I will be available for your further queries.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, have irregular periods and did not take ipill. Suggest medicine to avoid pregnancy? 5 hours later
Mam actually I had put intrauterine device before 2years which was failed due to heavy bleeding for more than a month so removed..so I'm scared of intrauterine device and I'm totally worried now .don't want the device and still any other options r there now like medications other than waiting for 14days

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome back.
There are so many medications like I-pill, high dose combined oral contraceptive pills to be used within 72 hours to avoid pregnancy.
However after 72 hours intrauterine device is the only method to avoid pregnancy.
Instead of using Cu-T you can use Mirena coil also.
Mirena coil is the progesterone containing intrauterine device it can reduce your period even less than normal & will provide contraception as well.
I hope your query has been answered.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, have irregular periods and did not take ipill. Suggest medicine to avoid pregnancy? 23 minutes later
Thank u man. .which will be the better option to me coil or waiting for 14 days and then going for MT PILLS ..z failure or side effects are possible in pills.

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 23 minutes later
Welcome back.

If you are using Mirena coil, bleeding will be reduced & it will provide contraception as well.

However if you are waiting for 14 days there can be possibility that pregnancy test comes negative & you will get relaxed. However, if it comes positive you would have to take mifepristone & misoprost.
Although these pills can evacuate uterus but sometimes some products of conception remain inside uterine cavity & there occurs excessive bleeding, to control that bleeding you would have to go for suction & evacuation means D&C & would have to hospitalise for that.

I have explained all pros & cons, now it depends on you which method you want to select.

I hope your query has been answered.