Had unprotected sex few hours after taking ipill. Should I take ipill again?

Mar 2013
dear sir/madam
I have intercourse with my wife without protection on 21 of feb 2013 at morning 6 A.M .Right now we are not interested for baby so she has taken i pill after 64 hrs after passing of on 23 feb 2013 at 10 P.M. I have again intercourse with my wife using protection(today vagina contraceptives tablet) on 24 feb 2013 around 2 P.M after passing of16 hrs of taking i pill on previous day.I used today vagina contraceptives tablet on 24 feb 2013 around 2 P.M and kept inside her vagina but it didnot melt completey..around one third portion melt and remaining came out when she had gone for urine. Should i give her another I PILL. we are not interested in baby right now. Her periods start on 13 th feb 2013 and was over on 20th feb 2013.kindly suggest me
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thank you for your query.

Firstly , I would point out a few things :
1. You said her period started on 13th February, and lasted till 20th February. That is slightly longer duration ( 8 days ) . Is this her usual duration ?

2. Going by the first day of period that is 13th February, you had unprotected intercourse on 21st February , that is day 9, and on 24th February, which is day 12. What is her normal cycle length , I mean, each month after how many days does she normally have her period ? If intercourse did not happen around the time of ovulation, chances of pregnancy are naturally less.

3. Regarding the I pill - The sooner you use i-pill, the more effective it is. It is 95% effective within 24 hours of unprotected sex, 85% between 25 - 48 hours and 58% if taken between 49 - 72 hours . As you took it after 64 hours, it is very less effective. However, since the next act was 16 hours later, it protects against that.
Please understand that the I pill is not a substitute for a regular contraceptive, as it will lead to irregular menstrual cycles, and more anxiety for both of you.

4. You cannot rely on the Today vaginal tablet, as you mentioned that it came out.

5. There is no need to give her another I pill again, as the tablet already taken was taken in time , as far as the second time of intercourse is concerned, but it was late for the first episode. A new tablet will not benefit now.

6. I recommend regular contraceptives ( oral contraceptive pills, condoms, Multiload or depo shots ) instead of sporadic I pills.

Right now, you have done the best you could under the circumstances. Make sure the rest of the cycle is protected intercourse, and if you miss your period by more than a week, take a pregnancy test.

Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex few hours after taking ipill. Should I take ipill again? 3 hours later
dear madam
as we discussed above,she has taken i pill on 22th feb 2013 at 10 pm and we had made intercourse on 23th feb 2013 at 2 pm.Is there need to another i pill, or pill which is taken befor intercourse will be effective as it was given after intercourse.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Thank you for your query.
I already mentioned that the first I pill is enough.
You do not need to give her another I pill.
Hope that clarifies matters.