Had unprotected sex few days before period. Chances of getting pregnant?

Hi girl friend should get her next period in 2 days.. we had unprotected sex today. Is there a chance for her to get pregnant ? If she gets her periods, can she still get pregnant...and as a next resort If she takes Postinor 2 will it help avoid prenancy and will this delay her periods for too long. She also has PCOS but her condition is improving through treatment. can this condition also prevent any pregnancy without depending on Postinor 2... thank you..... Prahalad
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later
Since the periods are due in next two days, this is not the fertile time of her cycle. The chances of pregnancy are less but cannot be ruled out completely.
If she takes Postinor 2 within first 24 hours of unsafe sex then chances of pregnancy will be less than 0.5%. But there are chances of an irregular spotting and delay of the periods. The effect lasts for a few days and she will have her periods in a week or so.
In case she does not take any medicine and gets her normal periods in next two days, then the pregnancy is ruled out completely.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex few days before period. Chances of getting pregnant? 18 minutes later
Dear Doctor, so kind of you to reply so promptly. It is indeed comforting to know that the chances of pregnancy is on the minus scale. My last resort would be to use Postinor 2 since my girl friend has had a hard time with PCOS which came to light after she took Postinor for the first time. In the extreme eventuality of she still getting pregnant without taking postinor and having periods also at the same time ( in the remotest freak possibility), kindly guide me on the safest method of terminating the pregnancy which unfortunately is not what we would like but the situation could warrant such a need. Appreciate your kind answer.. Best regards
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
In case your friend conceives, then she can go for a medical abortion with the help of medicines during the early pregnancy. These medicines are to be taken only under the guidance of an expert gynecologist who can monitor her personally to have minimal side effects.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.