Had unprotected sex few days after period. Took levonerogesterol. Started spotting. Pregnant?

Mar 2016

i had unprotected sex around day 6 in my cycle period finished day 5. I took levonerogesterol and four days later I had quite heavy bleeding for two days this tapered off and I had a condom break 7 days after frst UPSI. So I took levonergesterol again. I have experienced some light bleeding five days after this. Could I be pregnant
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

As per your information, you did first unprotected sex on safe period (day 6th of cycle) with taking additional emergency pill for extra protection against unwanted pregnancy. Four days later, you got withdrawal bleeding due to effect of the pill. It is quite common and normal thing. Here, chance of pregnancy is nil literally.

Next, you did 2nd time sex on day 13th of cycle (close to fertile days) with condom break and again took emergency pill. You got again withdrawal bleeding after 5 days. Here, pregnancy can occur in case of failure of the pill.

Emergency pill is more than 95% effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy if it is taken within first 24 hrs. Next cycle may be earlier or delayed due to hormonal imbalance.

96-99% pregnancy test gives positive result after 7 days of missed period. Early pregnancy test is less significant.

Therefore, I suggest you to wait for your upcoming period. 1-7 days due date alteration is normal thing. If you do not get your period even after 7 days, you should undergo one home pregnancy test with urine initially and blood test for beta-HCG to confirm pregnancy.

Emergency pill is not a substitute of regular contraception. After exclusion of pregnancy, you should take combined OCP to prevent unwanted pregnancy as it has highest effectiveness (near about 99.9%). You can contact with your health care provider regarding this.

You should take healthy diet with more vegetable & fruits, drink more water, keep bowel habit regular, maintain genital hygiene properly, avoid stress/ anxiety completely and always take a sound sleep. These healthy tips are quite helpful in getting period in time if there is no pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen