Had unprotected sex during periods, took ipill. Have delayed periods, HPT negative. Cause?

Mar 2016

hii, i have an unprotected sex on 2nd day of my periods after that i take unwanted 72.. my menstural cylce is of 28 days and now 5 days passed above it i didn't get my periods... i checked the pregnancy tests but found negative.. so my query is when should i get my periods or is there any other problem due to having sex during periods plz giv me suggestions thanking you.......... my weight is 84 height is 5'7"
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No Chance Of Pregnancy. Wait One Week.

Detailed Answer:

Unprotected sex on 2nd day of period is very much safe and you took unwanted 72 additionally for extra protection. Here, chance of pregnancy is very much rare or negligible.

Most women usually get their period 1-2 weeks late from due date following taking emergency contraceptive pill (unwanted 72). It occurs mostly due to hormonal imbalance and mental stress. Therefore, you can wait another one week to get your period naturally.

If you do not get your period after one week waiting, you must consult with gynecologist to proceed clinical examination and some tests like ultrasound scan, blood work out etc.

In this scenario, I prefer to induce period of my patients with progesterone pill like norethisterone. You will take a complete prescription from your consulting doctor in such case.

There is no other problem or complication due to having sex during period. It is very much safe. However, your body weight (84 kg) is above the normal range according to your height. Do regular physical exercise to reduce body weight for overall fitness and healthy life style.

Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex during periods, took ipill. Have delayed periods, HPT negative. Cause? 4 hours later
what kind of tests you are talking about that i have to take after one week waiting and why these have necessary i didn't understand??? is there any side effects of contraceptive pills..i'm really scared.... and what should be my ideal weight according to my height ......thanks for your concern
Answered by Dr. S Patra 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tests are required to rule out underlying causes.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

If you don't get your period after waiting of one week, we need to find out some associated pathology which can cause delayed period. These are progesterone hormone deficient, ovarian cyst, hypothyroid state, high prolactin level, pelvic infection, over weight (you have) etc.

To narrow down the underlying causes, some tests like pelvic ultrasound scan, progesterone hormone assay, thyroid profile, blood sugar & prolactin level are required under the guidance of gynecologist. Proper treatment can be made on the basis of diagnosis and test result.

Emergency contraceptive pill mostly causes hormonal imbalance or specifically lowers progesterone hormone in the body. Therefore, most women needs progesterone pill to induce period if they do not get period more than 1 to 2 weeks. However, underlying pathology should be ruled out in some cases.

Last thing, your current BMI is 29 which indicates OVER WEIGHT. Normal range of BMI is 18.5-24.9 for a healthy individual. According to your height, your ideal body weight will be 58-70 kg, depending on body structure or frame. You need to reduce body weight by regular physical exercise for a healthy life.

Over weight can cause above problems which I have mentioned in my text. You must eliminate underlying causes before taking any kind of medication to induce your period. Also, you would avoid mental stress by regular meditation/ yoga.

Hope, I have guided you with more detailed things. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen