Had unprotected sex during period. Is there any chances of pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012
Excellent

Question
I had unprotected sex on the second day of my girlfriend's period. Can she be pregnant??
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 33 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, period means shedding of the inner layer of the uterine wall along with bleeding.

For pregnancy, it is not the right time.

Ovulation occurs around 14th day of a normal 28days menstrual cycle. So, there is no chance of ovulation on the second day of period. So, fertilization cannot take place. Because, for fertilization, ovum is needed.

For this reason, there is no chance of pregnancy right now for this unprotected sex.

Lastly, do not worry. There is no chance of pregnancy. Generally, unprotected sex during period is safe.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex during period. Is there any chances of pregnancy? 6 minutes later
What if I come inside her???
Actually she is my wife & inorder to get her pregnant I had sex with her during her period however I just ejaculated a drop of sperm in her vagina. Is this enough to make her pregnant? If not what amount of sperms are needed to make her pregnant.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 34 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Look, i have already told you that during period, ovulation cannot take place. So, what is the fate of sperm without a ovum?

For fertilization and pregnancy an ovum and a sperm is needed. Without a ovum pregnancy cannot take place.

I have already told that in a normal woman with 28 days cycle, ovulation occurs around 14th day.

So, in order to get her pregnant, you have to try between 10 to 18th days of her menstrual cycle. Only that can lead to pregnancy.

One drop of semen is not enough for pregnancy. Total amount of semen that you ejaculate, is required for pregnancy.

Lastly, period is not the right time to try for pregnancy. Try for pregnancy during 10 to 18th days. Whole ejaculate is required for pregnancy.

Hope, you have your answers.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex during period. Is there any chances of pregnancy? 34 minutes later
Thank you doctor for guiding me on the subject. I was confused as I read some wall posts on the said subject that there are chances of getting pregnant during periods with unprotected sex. So now I know those wall posts were written by ordinary people who have no knowledge abt sexual health and I believe you as you are a doctor after all. I'll take ur advice to get my wife pregnant.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 47 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, in these days, anyone can give you opinion regarding medical problem. But you have to take the opinion from a doctor only.

So, do as i have told.

Regards.