Had unprotected sex but took ipill. Periods are late. Pregnant?

Mar 2016

i had sex with my bf on 26th may, without protection and he ejaculated inside me, i washed off that area immediately and took Unwanted-72 after 8 hours. my periods were already 4 days late. will i become pregnant? or will my periods become still more late? Please reply asap.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 51 minutes later

Unprotected sex with ejaculation around your period due date is very much safe if your previous cycle was regular. You also took unwanted-72 additionally after 8 hours which gives more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy. Here, chance of being pregnant is very much rare.

Normally, period may be delayed up to 7 days from due date. It may occur due to hormonal imbalance & mental stress.

Following taking unwanted-72 or any kind of emergency pills, upcoming period is delayed & a withdrawal bleeding (similar to period) will appear within 7-10 days. It is quite common and normal phenomena.

Here, you need to wait another 7 days to get withdrawal bleeding or natural period. If you do not get your period in this time, you need to consult with your gynecologist for relevant investigation and suggestive medication to induce your period.

In the interim, following measures are useful :

1) You should take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Keep bowel habit regular and drink plenty of fluids/ water/ juice.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ deep breathing regularly (20-30 times) or meditation.
4) Do light physical exercise. Maintain personal hygiene. Take sound sleep.

You can always check for pregnancy with urine pregnancy test kits available at most pharmacies.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen.