Had unprotected sex, bleeding during both vaginal and oral sex. Will blood spills on tongue, penis contract HIV ?

Dermatologist
Question
I had unprotected sex with a 42 year old female twice last year. I had oral sex also on her. I noticed bleeding during both vaginal and oral sex. Does blood spills on your tongue and penis mean that i will surely contract hiv , if she happens to be hiv positive? Is the risk very high in this? Is there any chance of me surviving elisa test?
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

I understand your concern and will try to advise you accordingly.

The risk of HIV transmission of female-to-male sexual transmission is ~0.04% to 0.3% per act while the risk of transmission from oral sex is less it is still present.Per act risk is estimated at 0–0.04% for receptive oral intercourse. Case reports have documented the acquisition of HIV from receiving oral sex.

There is a small but definite risk of HIV in your case.

It is not sure that you will acquire the AIDS ,it can only be confirmed by ELISA testing.There is good chance that your ELISA will be negative.

The major criteria for HIV diagnosis are
cough for >1month,
diarrhoea >1month,
unexplained fever >1month
and unexplained weight loss >10% body weight

Also recurrent oral ulcers ,oral candidiasis , herpes zoster , chickenpox can be a manifestation of HIV.
Do you have any of these symptoms.

There is a very small but definite chance of HIV infection in your case.
There is nothing to be panicked about.But it is important to undergo ELISA test to get you peace of mind.

Anticipating your response.

Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, bleeding during both vaginal and oral sex. Will blood spills on tongue, penis contract HIV ? 11 hours later
Thanks for the fantastic response.I have none of the above symptoms and in fact my weight has increased since lat one year. But i am little concerned about black spots in the scalp.There is quite a bit of black spots beneath the hair in the scalp especially in the middle scalp. There is no pain or itching. does it anway connected with HIV? is it fungal infection which can cause hair thinning and baldness? they can be felt as slightly proturding if you massage them. what are these and what can be done? another thing is that is i would like to know if 3 month elisa test is conclusive and does elisas give false positives ? what %?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Hi again,

Its good to know that you dont have any of the above symptoms.
Still you need to undergo ELISA at 3 months to rule out HIV completely.
It is almost conclusive .Negative test rules out HIV.
ELISA can give false positive results but it is <1% of total.

Black spots you are describing can be fungal infection of scalp or lichen planus of scalp which is a eczematous skin disease. Both are NOT related to HIV.

Hope this helps you.

If you have no further queries,please accept my answer and rate it at the end.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, bleeding during both vaginal and oral sex. Will blood spills on tongue, penis contract HIV ? 14 minutes later
thanks for the reply. My last question is

Black spots you are describing can be fungal infection of scalp or lichen planus of scalp which is a eczematous skin disease. - what is the best treatment? if untreated will it lead to baldness?- i am using XXXXXXX anti dandruff oil. will it be ok?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 16 minutes later
Hi again,

Treatment depends upon confirmation of diagnosis.

Lipen planus is treated by steroids where as fungal infection by oral and topical antifungal drugs.

A visit to dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this helps.

Dr Sudarshan