Had unprotected sex and had ipill. Do I need to take emergency contraceptive?

Mar 2016

i had unprotected sex yesterday 2hours after i had ipill, will i need to have another emergency contraceptive?
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No. Just One Pill Is Enough.

Detailed Answer:

I-pill is an emergency contraceptive pill. It contains levonorgestrel as ingredient. It is recommended to take only one pill within 72 hrs of unprotected sex. However, the pill is effective more than 95% against unwanted pregnancy within first 24 hrs. Here, you do not need to take any additional emergency contraceptive pill.

You will get a withdrawal bleeding within 7-10 days due to effect of the pill. It is a very common phenomena. However, next period may be delayed 1-2 weeks due to hormonal imbalance and mental stress. Therefore, it is advisable to undergo one home pregnancy test if your next period is delayed more than 1 week.

Hope, it helps for your information. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex and had ipill. Do I need to take emergency contraceptive? 1 hour later
Just wanted to reconfirm that I had unprotected sex after I had ipill, still I dont need to have another one?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No Need To Take Extra Pill.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Ideally, I-pill is taken following unprotected sex. However, you involved in sex 2 hrs after taking the pill. With short duration, I-pill is quite effective whether you take it before or after sex. Here, I-pill protects you more than 95%.

Theoretically, one I-pill gives you protection for next 72 hrs. Additional intake of pill may create adverse effect due to overdose. For your information sake, no contraceptive pill gives 100% protection. Just wait for next coming period.

In addition, if you are sexually active on regular basis, you must use combined OCP instead of emergency pill. It will give more than 99% protection against unwanted pregnancy. Also, you will get your regular period.

Hope, I have cleared your all confusion. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Take care yourself. Good luck.

Dr Soumen