Had unprotected sex after taking contraceptive pill. Should I take ECP again?

Hi Doctor, my partner's menstruation period ended on November 10, we had unprotected sex on November 12, then she took a levonorgestrel based emergency contraceptive pill (ECP) within 48 hours, then on November 16 we had unprotected sex, should it be okay to take a levonorgestrel based ECP again? Please suggest. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Yes she may take the emergency pill. But when use more than once in a monthly cycle the side effects of the pill increase and contraceptive efficacy decreases.

However now that she wishes to avoid pregnancy, taking the ECP again is the only option. This is because the first ECP pill will not ensure protection for your second act of unprotected intercourse.

She just has to borne in mind that using the ECP again can cause bleeding irregularities, unexpected bleeding or remote possibility of pregnancy also.

ECP should not me a measure to avoid pregnancy. If you really are so sure about not conceiving now, then you should use one regular contraception.
ECP's are not a method of contraception.