Had unprotected sex after surgical abortion. Can ovulation occur after termination of pregnancy?

Question
I am 20 yrs old and had a surgical abortion on Friday. The Tuesday before I had unprotected sex with my bf. I was 4-6 weeks along. I wanted to know if it were possible for me to get pregnant again after the procedure from the sexual encounter 2 1/2 to 3 days before? Can ovulation even occur within 3-4 days after termination of pregnancy? Or am I just being overly stressed? Thanks
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

After a surgical abortion, it takes at least 2 weeks for normal ovulation to return.

Since you had an unprotected sex only 3 days after the procedure, you are least likely to be pregnant. Do not worry.

Just be careful next time and use a regular measure for contraception.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex after surgical abortion. Can ovulation occur after termination of pregnancy? 52 minutes later
I had the sex 3 days before the procedure not after. And then I read online sperm can live up to five days so that's what had me worried. So this possible? Can one even ovulate with in the first 4 days after abortion?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
I would like to reassure you that your chances of getting pregnant are almost negligible. Even if you had sex upto 2 weeks after the procedure, the chances of pregnancy would have been negligible as ovulation does not occur for upto 2 weeks after an abortion.
Also, the sperm an survive for a maximum of 24-48 hours in the female reproductive tract and will perish if it is not fertilized by that time.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.