Had unprotected sex after periods. Noticed bleeding. Home pregnancy test showed one dark and one faint line. Worried?

i am 25 years old. my periods got over on 31st july and i had unprotected sex on 1st aug. took 1st ipill on 3rd aug and 2nd on 6th aug(which i know is wrong).after 1 week i had bleeding which lasted for 2-3 days. till now (17th sept),i did not get my periods. i took two home tests, one on 16th sept and one just today. it showed one dark line and one very faint colourless line which disappeared.from past two days i m experiencing pain in breasts(which i do before my periods) and pain in lower back....i am so worried.
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Impending period; not pregnancy

Detailed Answer:

If you have regular 28-30 day cycles, the period when you had the unprotected intercourse was the safe period and as such, there was no need for the emergency pill. Since you had taken two pills in a short period, your hormonal milieu is disrupted. This resulted in the withdrawal bleeding observed. Also, this disturbance is the most likely cause for the delay in your cycle as often happens after using emergency pills.

Conception is a remote possibility as ovulation was not likely to have occurred at the time of the intercourse and added to that, you ingested the pills. Yet, if you wish to exclude, you can perform the serum beta-hCG assay which is conclusive.

Your symptoms suggest an impending period. You can wait for a couple of days to see if you attain your menstruation or see a gynecologist for further evaluation as you are overdue your period by more than a fortnight.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex after periods. Noticed bleeding. Home pregnancy test showed one dark and one faint line. Worried? 35 hours later

thanks for answering the was somewhat relieving.

how soon should i expect my periods? or should i take some medicines so that it happens?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Within a week; medication only by prescription.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

You can expect your period within a week going by your symptoms, but, as I mentioned, please see a specialist as you are overdue by more than a fortnight and you may need assistance in inducing a period. Medication may be needed if pregnancy is excluded and you do not see a period. This should be done only after being seen by a specialist.

Hope your doubt is clarified. Please get back if you need any more clarifications. I will be ready to help.