Had unprotected sex. Took unwanted 72. What are the chances of getting pregnant?

Jul 2012

Hi sir, I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend. I gave her unwanted 72 within 1 hour. Is thre any chance of pregnancy. Because she is getting fever and vomiting since few days. Will the pill work to prevent pregnancy. After one day of sexual intercourse she was diognised for malaria.she is under treatment. she was unwell when we had sex complaining about weakness and headache.she was on the first day of her MC. It was the first time we had sex together. Her hymen is broken now. She complained a lot of pain near abdomen. My age is 22 and her is 21. I afraid to get her pregnant now. Though I used condom I felt there was a leakage when changing another one. Therefore I gave her contraceptive pills within one hour of having sex. Please suggest me what to do.
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 21 minutes later
Hi there.
Nothing needs be done!! You are just having an anxiety attack. If she has malaria, the pregnancy test may come back false positive! Wait for a month & for everythng to stabilise. If her menses was on, there is nothing to fear as regards pregnancy.
If hymen broken, bleed, pain normal. However, any secondary infection will be sorted with the antibiotics et al given for the malaria treatment. Relax..just get her health on track. What you have done so far is fine. She is tired & stressed..what she needs is moral support & reassurance & treatment of the malaria issue at hand.
Cheers & wish you both good health!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist & Venereologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took unwanted 72. What are the chances of getting pregnant? 52 minutes later
Sir, she is vomiting frequently. I have heard that when girls get pregnant they vomit mildly. Is it the side effect of unwanted 72 . Sir, if at all I ask her for pregnancy test when should she go. Can she use preganews to know whether she is pregnant? is it safe to go for abortion at this age or till what time it is safe to go for it once she is pregnant? Thank U sir
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 10 hours later
Hi there Again.
I understand your palpable anxiety by the times you must have double-clicked to send this query in :)
Relax. As i said, it is very very unlikely she will be pregnant. Yes the vomiting is more likely to be an 'unwanted' side effect of the 'unwanted 72' or because of the antimalarial medications. It is almost certainly NOT due to pregnancy. Besides, that is a myth..not all girls vomit in the 1st trimester..some just have 'nausea' feeling, quite a few dont have any such feeling!
Forget preganews et al..go across to a reputed laboratory & ask them to do a blood/serum B-hcg test & that will give you a clear picture with a titre also.
Why do you even think so far...1st do this test. However upto 3 mths, an abortion either medical or surgical both safe, possible & done easily but 99.99%, in your case no need to think so far. Just remember next time, please be more careful & use a condom & have sex during the 'safe period' which you can learn in detail from a visit to your local gynecologist.
Relax & trust all your questions answered & mind at ease. vomiting totally unrelated to pregnancy. Please show more empathy towards her & DONT be concerned only bout the pregnancy. Treat the malaria & vomitting! Relax..there is nothing to worry about the pregnancy. Please close this question & rate us as it will give you a sense of closure too :)
Good Luck & wish your partner good health & quick recovery from the malaria & vomiting! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Bangalore, India.