Had unprotected sex. Took pill. Started spotting. Faint line seen on HPT. Am I pregnant?

i have been with my fiancee for a about a year and we have always been careful when being intamite untill he proposed. we havent been very careful i had my last full period on october first and we were engaged 10-11 that night we had unprotected sex and i took the morning after pill since then we have had sex almost everynight unprotected and i had a light period on the 21st of october.. mostly spotting nothing to heavy so this month i have had cramos and breast tenderness and more spotting on the 25th of november... i took a at home pregnance test on the 27th and it was a very light negative. please any advice.. am i pregnant or not?
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Based on a first day of your last "period" of 10/1, the most likely timing of conception would have been around 10/15 +/- 2-3 days. With the intercourse on 10/11, this was a little bit early for conception, AND you took the morning after pill appropriately which is very effective. But, you continued to have unprotected intercourse and then had some light spotting on 10/21 and again on 11/25.

If you were pregnant I might have expected it to turn positive by now, but one effect of emergency contraception is to delay ovulation. So you might actually have conceived in any of the other, later encounters, but are just not seeing it on a urine pregnancy test yet. The other possibility is that your cycle is just significantly delayed because of the additional hormones in the emergency contraception.

So in answer to your question, maybe you are pregnant and maybe you are not. Here is what I would recommend:
1. Repeat the test in one and two weeks
2. If you have not gotten your period in 3 weeks, then you need to go in for a blood pregnancy test and a visit to discuss this with your OB/GYN

My guess is that this will sort itself out within the next 1-2 weeks!

I hope this helps. Please ask me if you have any additional questions!
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took pill. Started spotting. Faint line seen on HPT. Am I pregnant? 25 hours later
thank you so much now in your experence after the morning after pill when does ovulation occur?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 24 hours later
Well, this is uncertain, but I would presume that it could delay it on the order of one to two weeks. This would place it in late October. If conception had occurred at that point, I would have expected a pregnancy test to turn positive by now.

Does this answer your questions? Please let me know.