Had unprotected sex. Took nordette after sex. No bleeding. Have regular periods. Normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016
Excellent

OBGYN
Question
I had unprotected sex last sept 7 i took nordette 4 tabs abt 5 hrs after the sex & another 4 tabs 12 hrs after the 1st dose. Its been a wk yet no bleeding LMP aug29 and i have regular menses.. Is this normal?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal. Wait few more days.

Detailed Answer:

First of all, you did unprotected sex in safe period (7th Sept) and took nordette tab (4 + 4) within first 24 hrs. Here, chance of pregnancy is almost nil or negligible.

Second thing, most women get a withdrawal bleeding within 7-10 days of taking the pill. You can also wait for few more days to get bleeding.

Very few women may not get their withdrawal bleeding. It is also a normal thing and it does not signify reduced efficacy of the contraceptive pill.

Last thing, your next period may be delayed for 1-2 weeks due to effect of the pill and hormonal imbalance. It is quite physiological.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health & practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took nordette after sex. No bleeding. Have regular periods. Normal? 2 days later
Im having sticky discharge what does it mean? Im really getting paranoid coz im on my 9th day post nordett and still no bleedinge

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sticky discharge due to Progesterone. Don't worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Sticky white discharge is due to effect of progesterone hormone. It is quite normal and physiological. If it is not associated with itching or bad smell, you have nothing to worry. Just maintain your genital hygiene.

Withdrawal bleeding is not a mandatory feature for the efficacy of emergency pill. It may take some time in few women and some get early. It can't be predicted. However, mental stress or anxiety can delay to get bleeding.

As you did unprotected sex in safe period, you would not be worried about that. You can definitely wait few more days. Maintain a healthy life style and avoid mental stress by meditation or yoga. Take a sound sleep. This will be effective for you.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took nordette after sex. No bleeding. Have regular periods. Normal? 4 minutes later
How early can i do pregnancy test? For my peace of mind

Answered by Dr. S Patra 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do pregnancy test around due date of period.

Detailed Answer:

Early pregnancy test is not very useful. You can undergo one home pregnancy test around due date or immediately after missed period. Repeat the test after 7 days if you do not get your period.

Hope, it helps you. Be well.

Dr Soumen

Even blood HCG? arounf the time of my period?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood beta-HCG can be done around due date.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, you can undergo blood test for beta-HCG around period due date for early confirmation of pregnancy.

It is reliable and gives more accurate result in comparison to usual home pregnancy test.

Hope, I have cleared your doubts.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took nordette after sex. No bleeding. Have regular periods. Normal? 12 minutes later
Thanks

Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome in Healthcare Magic Platform.

For future query, I will be happy to help you. Please visit my profile and post your query in the given link:

WWW.WWWW.WW
Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took nordette after sex. No bleeding. Have regular periods. Normal? 3 days later
Hi dr... Im on my 13th day post ecp nordette...still no bleeding...im currently having abdominal cramps tender breasts my flank and back is sore when i peed i noticed a whitish sticky discharge just a a small amount what could this mean im
Really getting worried

Answered by Dr. S Patra 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Premenstrual Symptoms. Don't worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response.

Don't be worried. According to clinical feature, I can assume that you are currently undergoing Premenstrual Symptoms (PMS) which are quite normal and physiological in the 2nd half of cycle, specifically prior to commencement of period. It indicates you will get your period shortly. For white discharge, you would maintain genital hygiene properly.

In this time period, you must take balanced diet, do regular meditation or yoga to avoid mental stress, keep bowel habit regular, drink more water and eat fresh vegetables, avoid salt/ coffee/ fatty foods and take sound sleep. This will help to get your period timely.

Hope, I have clarified the all things. Don't be stressed. Just relax.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took nordette after sex. No bleeding. Have regular periods. Normal? 5 minutes later
I dint have this type of PMS before and i feel sick the whole day today...

Answered by Dr. S Patra 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow the guideline.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for response.

Hormonal imbalance due to effect of the pill and over activity of progesterone itself in the 2nd half of cycle are the main reasons for above clinical feature which leads to PMS symptoms. These are indication of period shortly.

My suggestions are as follows:

1) Follow my previous healthy measures. These are quite helpful.
2) Take some painkiller medication like drotaverine/ diclofenac with antacid.
3) Use muscle relaxant gel or hot compression to reduce low back pain.

Hope, these are helpful to you. All the best.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took nordette after sex. No bleeding. Have regular periods. Normal? 2 minutes later
Thanks dr i hope ill get my period soon. All the best

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Yea. Welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome in Healthcare Magic Platform. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

WWW.WWWW.WW
Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took nordette after sex. No bleeding. Have regular periods. Normal? 4 days later
Hi dr! Follow up... Im on my 17th day after nordette still no menstruation... Ive been having on and off PMS like symptoms what does this mean

Answered by Dr. S Patra 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult with doctor & induce with Norethisterone

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

PMS like symptoms indicate to get period shortly. However, if you don't want to wait, I suggest you to contact with your doctor to induce period by progesterone pill (like norethisterone) after overall checking. It is usually given for 3 to 5 days and you will get your period within 5 to 7 days of stopping them.

Hope, it helps for you. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took nordette after sex. No bleeding. Have regular periods. Normal? 3 minutes later
Thank you very much i hope im not bombarding you with questions im just worried! Hope you understand thanks again

Brief Answer:
Don't worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for response.

It does not looks like bombarding and you can ask any query related to your health problem. So, you would not be worried about your present condition.

Just follow my previous advice and you will get definitely an effective result.

Hope, I have cleared your doubts. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took nordette after sex. No bleeding. Have regular periods. Normal? 45 hours later
Hi doctor! I had my beta HCG tested last Sept 23 (16 days after the sex) the result is <1.2 mIU/ml (the labs reference value is <5 mIU/ml) is this conclusive already that im not pregnant or will not be pregnant? I still dont have my period as of the moment...Thank you

Answered by Dr. S Patra 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are not pregnant. Normal report.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

You are not pregnant according to blood test for beta-HCG report. Above value is quite normal in non-pregnant state. So, you don't worry about that.

I suggest you to consult with doctor for prescription to induce period with progesterone pill like norethisterone. You will get period within 3 to 5 days of taking the medicine.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen

Thank you very much doctor! Youve been very helpful, patient and accomodating since day one. I learned my lesson and thi will never happen again. Goodluck and may God bless you more s

Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome in our Healthcare Magic Platform. Hope, I have guided you properly and you learn some part of that.

Kindly, close the discussion if you don't wish to have any query.

God bless you too.

Dr Soumen