Had unprotected sex. Took ipill. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. Chances of pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Hi am XXXXXXX Me and my gf had an unprotected sex on july 28th but before 72 hrs she hav taken an i-pill, next aug 9th(not sure may be 9th) she got her period but next month she hav,t got her periods till now, She hav taken a home pragnency test on 10th oct and it was negative. is thr any chances of being pragnent? Can anybody plz help me in clearing the doubt.
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 25 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Emergency pill can alter the menstrual cycle depending on the time of the menstrual cycle when the pill has taken.
If the pill is taken in the first half of the cycle it will prepone the periods and if taken in the second half it will postpone the periods.
Like this it can alter the menstrual cycle and it may take some time for regularization next cycles.
So this delay in periods can be due to the pill or it can also be due to other factors like stress and strain, anemia, thyroid disorders etc.
The chances of pregnancy are less but if you want to completely rule out the possibility let her undergo blood test for pregnancy or ultrasound which can give accurate results.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took ipill. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. Chances of pregnancy? 15 minutes later
today its scanned
URINARY BLADDER = normal wall. echofree cavity
uterus = normal size, measures 7.9*36cms normal myometrium.endometrium iks thick (14.1mm)
OVARIES = right ovarian cyst measuring 4.6*4.6 cms. left ovary is normal
OTHERS = no mass or collection seen in the RIF region. no collection in POD.
IMPRESSION =
thick endometrium
right ovarian cyst.
can u pleease explain me maam i didnt get diz n its pregnency negative or positive

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 minutes later
As it is almost 10 weeks over after unprotected intercourse and as the ultrasound showing no evidence of gestational sac there is no possibility of pregnancy.
Increased endometrial thickness can indicate hormonal imbalance.
So let your friend consult gynecologist and take tablets for withdrawal bleeding.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took ipill. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. Chances of pregnancy? 4 minutes later
thank u soo much maam n 1 more doubt she s stomoch ;ittl bigger n periods r delayed

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 28 minutes later

Abdomen can appear bigger due to causes like fat deposition etc.
And also in early pregnancy uterus will remain as pelvic organ and will not be appreciated per abdomen, so you don't worry about it.
As I told the delay in periods can be due to hormonal problems, by taking progesterone tablets with your doctor's advice withdrawal bleeding can be induced.