Had unprotected sex. Tested negative for STD. Feeling weak, vomiting and spinning head. Reason?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I had unprotected sex with known person 8 weeks ago. I know her from since last more than a year. I thought to get STD check and everything came normal. But my concern is that I had STD test after 5 weeks only after having unprotected sex, and I heard that the window period is either 13 weeks or 3 months to get proper results. I am bit paranoid at the moment.
I don't know but I am feeling bit seek from last a week. I have below Symptoms:
1) Feeling Week, specially in my hands and legs. Feel like I have no power.
2) Continues sweaty palm.
3) Skin feels like burning and little bit itchy, more in my hands.
4) Feel like vomiting but never vomits.
5) Darkness in front of my eyes and my head is spinning.
However, I am getting hungry and having meal on time. Also having good sleep at night.
Please advise should I go and get tested again? when is best period? and what above symptoms says anything? as I am not able to concentrate, life feels bit anxious.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Test for STDs other than HIV will be conclusive within 5 weeks itself. So you need not repeat the same.
With regards to HIV, the normal antibody tests like, ELISA, Western Blot, Rapid Test will become positive if one infected with the virus after 8- 12 weeks, sometimes up to 3 months as you mentioned.
At the same time there are few antigen tests available in bigger laboratories like P24 antigen test and DNA PCR Test which may be reliable after 3-4 weeks itself.

You knew your sex partner for more than a year means that you know about her sexual activities. If it is doubtful you would not have an unprotected sex with her. So I feel there is nothing to worry. More over most of the symptoms like weakness, fatigue, palm sweating, burning sensation, nausea, darkness in front of your eyes are due to your anxiety and phobia only, not due to any STD.
Early symptoms of HIV can occur as 'FLU' like fever, body pain etc. after 4 weeks only. Other bigger issues due to immune deficiency can occur only after 5-7 years of the infection only.
So you need not worry and better repeat the HIV test after 12 weeks once again and feel relaxed.
Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan.
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Tested negative for STD. Feeling weak, vomiting and spinning head. Reason? 2 days later
Hi Doc,

Thanks for your reply and thanks for writing such a nice words. Lesson learned from mistakes.
I had the HIV 1/2 Antigen and Antibody test exactly after 4 and half weeks. Would they be accurate results?
I am thinking to go to another test after 8 weeks. Is this ok do that?
I am still having the same problem as I mentioned above. The most problem I hate is having problem in focusing? what should I do or take to overcome from this situation?
Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Welcome back with your follow up questions.

Pleased to answer the same.

The combo test (both Antigen and Antibody test) is more reliable and sensitive. Better repeat the test after 12 weeks instead of 8 weeks, so that it will be more conclusive.

Better consult your physician and an Ophthalmologist for your problems which may not be related to HIV at all.
You will be alright soon.
DR S. Murugan