Had unprotected sex. Tested negative for HIV. What are the test to be done?

Dermatologist
Question
how accurate is a 33 day, 61 day, 88 day elisa test result?

unprotected vaginal sex with female on 01/04/2012
protected vaginal sex with female with oral sex on 28/04/012 but condome broke in last one minute
protected vaginal sex with female on 26/05/012 but condome broke in last one minute
no blood involved. tested negative for hiv on 28/06/2012.
what are my chances that i wont be infected with HIV from above encounters?
Can you please tell me which generation of tests are commonly used now in india and abroad
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 13 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I would be pleased to answer your question.

The most common tests done now in India and abroad are HIV duo test. This includes the HIV ELISA and the p 24 antigen assay.

The chance HIV infection in you is negligible. However a repeat test should be done after 6 months.

I hope this helps. Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Thanks and take care

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Tested negative for HIV. What are the test to be done? 10 hours later
once the condom is broken and penis comes into contact with vagina , are the chances of HIV same as unprotected sex? Has there been cases of hiv contraction from condom break and oral sex?

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 33 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query.

Once the condom breaks the chance of HIV transmission and risk is the same as for unprotected sex.

Yes, there have been cases of HIV transmission following oral sex and condom breakage. However, there has to be an element of a cut, abrasion or blood contact. Genital secretions can also transmit the virus through mucosal contact.

Thanks and take care.