Had unprotected sex. Tested negative after 3 month. How reliable is 3 month test? Suggest some required treatment?

The encounter was happened with a sex worker. I used latex condom but i have doubt it might be get slipped off during the last time of intercourse. it was limited ot vaginal intercourese only. I got tested after 3 months (Immunolgy- Serology Test) and it came negative. I request your answer to the following questions. . 1. How is reliable my 3 month test? and my test is ELISA or not? what is the correct window period 3 or 6 month? . 2. should i go again for retesting, m getting marry soon. and really freaking out. Can HIV person have the child without infected mother and child both. I read somewehre that medicines can reduce the virus from semen and man can have the health child withouth infected mothers too. is that true? 3. When is to start take medicine, when CD4 counts below 200 or we have to start it early? 4. What is the expectary average life span of HIV person, if he keeps taking medicins regulary on time. 5. Can a urine culture test can dedect any sign of HIV after 1 year of exposure . Thaning you..Please help.
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 4 hours later
thanks for posting your query.
you seem to have asked lot of interesting questions. I shall take it one by one.
1. i want to assure you that your tests are normal at three months and hence you seem to be free of acquiring HIV infection so far.
2. the correct window period is three months only and not six months as you think
3. there is no necessity for re checking. how ever when you plan to get married go for one more checkup three months before marriage, which is advisable.
4. the only way to prevent HIV to your spouse is to wear condom every time. hence it is not possible to have a baby and to prevent transmission to offspring and spouse.
5. there are no medications to reduce the virus shredding from the semen so far.
6. anti retroviral therapy is started if the CD4 count is below 200 or if it is below 400-500 and the patient having associated illnesses.
7. all patients need not die with AIDS which is only a terminal stage. a person can lead a normal life with only a carrier of HIV
8. the life span is difficult to predict but it may be 3-5 years after developing AIDS
9. urine culture test does not detect virus infection.

I hope I tried to clear your doubts. I will be happy to answer if there are anymore doubts in this regard
have a nice day
PVS Prasad