Had unprotected sex. Started feeling constipated, nauseous, tired and acidic. Am I pregnant?

General Surgeon
Hi, I had unprotected sex Thursday. On Friday night, I had some drinks with friends. Saturday, my stomach felt extremely acidic and I had stomach spasms. I also felt nauseaus and very tired. I chalked this up to a combination of a hangover and hyperacidity. However the stomach pains persisted till Sunday, and by Sunday evening till this morning, my stomach felt bloated, I had cramps like I was going to get my period, I was constipated, and still fatigued. In addition, I was getting heartburn. I feared that I might actually be pregnant because of Thursday's episode. So I took Nordette today and will be taking my 2nd dose in a few hours. My question: Could I already be pregnant? Will the Nordette still work 4 days after intercourse? (we used a condom, by the way, which did not break at all, so I wasn't really worried until this weekend's symptoms). Thanks!
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are rather not caused by pregnancy even if you are pregnant (what is always possible even if the condom were used, however the probability of it is very low - 5-12%). First symptoms of pregnancy do appear after a week to month of the intercourse.
More possible is that the alcohol caused stomach irritation or aggravated peptic ulcers which you do have had before. It gives symptoms like stomach ache, cramps, heart burns, hyperacidity etc. Alcohol could also irritate the pancreas.
Nordette wont be effective if you are already pregnant, it only prevents the implantation of the ovum. So if you are not pregnant, it will be effective.
I suggest you to have bland diet, avoid fatty foods, coffee, spicy foods, fried foods, fruit juices, chocolate. Drink more mineral water. Omeprasole 40 mg once a day should be helpful. You should also get scheduled for upper GI endoscopy.
And pregnancy test performed for about a week will be a good idea.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.