Had unprotected sex. Spotting with brown discharge. Tender breast and nausea. Pregnant?

Question
Good Morning:
I had unprotected sex last month between 10 and 15 days of the cycle. Now I am spotting for 4 days brown discharge mostly when I wipe. My breasts seem bigger and I have nausea. I supposed to get my period 4 days ago (26 days cycle) but I dont have blood..only brown discharge...
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 minutes later

This spotting can be an indication of implantation bleeding since you had any unprotected intercourse close to your fertile days ( 14th day of your menstrual cycle). Implantation bleeding is a type of spotting which occurs when the fertilized ovum implants in the lining of the uterus and this may occur after 10 days of your ovulation days. Moreover the chances of pregnancy from your symptoms and delayed periods are more.

Most home pregnancy tests that check urine beta-HCG are sensitive to 20-25 mIU/ml of HCG. The test can be positive anywhere from about 2-3 days prior to a missed menses to 4-5 days after, but usually it should be done 7-10 days past your missed period. Use a morning sample of urine and two lines means a positive test. To confirm the status of your pregnancy, you can get a serum HCG test done which is more specific than a urine test.

If pregnancy is ruled out and periods don’t come then the other causes like stress and anxiety, eating disorders, malnutrition, hormonal imbalance or conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland need to be ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Spotting with brown discharge. Tender breast and nausea. Pregnant? 1 hour later
Thank you. I also have cramps they feel like menstrual cramps but no sign of blood only light brown spotting.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Since you have missed your periods, chances of pregnancy are there. It can also be due to brownish spotting due to corpus luteum defect in early pregnancy which requires supplementation of progesterone hormone. Hence you should check your pregnancy status and consult a gynecologist to rule out any threatened miscarriage as well.