Had unprotected sex. Should I worry about HIV and STD?

Hi Doctor

Two nights ago I had sex with a prostitute in Singapore. She was from Cambodia. We showered before hand and I go protected (condom) oral and vaginal sex, for about 5 min but I felt guilty and stopped. I checked condom afterwoods and did water test and no leakage. But I am worried because maybe the HIV got through small holes in condom? I have a wife and she is breastfeeding so do not want to put my family at risk. Should I abstain from unprotected sex with my wife. I am an idiot who has betrayed his family
Also worried got other STD? She seemed clean and was careful though (no kissing,shower)
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 30 minutes later

HIV is very unlikely, my friendship given that your condom did not have any leakage. If you used barrier protection as he said appropriately, you do not have to worry about HIV anymore than any other sexually transmitted diseases.

If you are really concerned, you may want to wait 3 months for an accurate HIV test, but most likely you have nothing to worry about. I hope this is helpful, and that you got this behavior out of your system so that you did not put yourself or your family at risk anymore.

Have a wonderful day.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Should I worry about HIV and STD? 29 minutes later
Thanks Dr Fine
1. Just a clarification. What do you mean "do not have to worry about HIV more than any other sexually transmitted disease"?

2. Do you think given that I practiced safe sex that it safe to have unprotected sex with my wife (otherwise I am explaining to do). Also she breasts feeds my son

3. I have been reading that even if the girls did have HIV (say 5 in 100 chance), and even if sex was UNPROTECTED than my odds of getting HIV are 1 in 1000 (some say 1 in 2000). So that is .05 X .0005 probability = .0000%. Plus I used a condom. But what about other SDI? More chance for SDI, and could my wife pass them to baby?

I appreciate your time . I am very worried (have not eaten for 2 days and continuously searching internet). I fly home soon
Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 5 minutes later
1. If you wore protection, all sexually transmitted diseases are very unlikely.

2. Very unlikely to get HIV from unprotected sex, so I would say that yes it is safe.

3. Very small chance of HIV or other sexually transmitted infection. No your wife would not pass into the baby.

Hope this clarifies.
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Should I worry about HIV and STD? 4 hours later
Hi Dr Fine

Thanks for your patients with me. This is likely my last question.

1. I thought mothers could pass HIV to babies though breast feeding?

2. I guess I am looking for guarantees and of course you cannot give that (for legal reasons I guess). Maybe there is what 1 in a million chance, or more like one in 3000? It was 1 in 3000 I might abstain with my wife, but if closer to 1 in a million that might be more comfortable. Am I being overly anxious? Might be the guilt because rationally to odds are hugely in my favour, right? But of harming my wife and child to bad to bear

3. Can you please ensure my questions do not go on web for public to see? I forgot to check this was the case first.

Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 4 hours later

1. HIV is not spread through breast-feeding.
2. There are no guarantees in life.
3. Usually the answers are not visible for others to see.

Hope that clears all your doubts.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Should I worry about HIV and STD? 38 minutes later
Thanks, but not sure you are right about number 1.

for your reference.

Thanks for your help, please do not post my questions or answers on the web. I am disabling my account
Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 19 minutes later
Thanks for the link.

But, HIV rarely spreads through breast milk.

Wish you good health.