Had unprotected sex, STD negative, muscle ache, fatigue. Are the tests conclusive? Are rapid HIV tests just as reliable as lab?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I had a lot of unprotected sex with same female over coarse of a month. I was tested for stds all negative at the following times:

Chlamydia/gonnerea - 4 weeks urine
Herpes - 4 weeks blood
Hepb antigen - 7 weeks
Hep c antibody - 7 and 9 weeks
HIV- rapid mouth swab at 6 and 8 weeks rapid blood finger stick at 11 weeks
Syphilis RPR- 7 weeks
My questions are as follows:
1-are these tests conclusive?
2-are rapid HIV tests just as reliable as lab?
3-if I contracted both hep c and HIV would that delay my HIV results?
4-I read 12 weeks is conclusive for HIV, I had one at 11 weeks after last encounter do I need one more at 12?
Reason I am asking all this is because I have been having muscle aches and fatigue for like 2 to 2 1/2 months. I hope to hear bak soon. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 10 hours later
1-are these tests conclusive?
Thanks for writing in.
I understand your concern.
1)     The tests that you have mentioned are screening tests. If they show negative results, we mostly take them as conclusive. However, there is no test which is 100% sensitive and 100% specific.
2)     Rapid HIV tests are considered as reliable as screening tests
3)     Yes, concurrent infection with hepatitis C can sometimes delay seroconversion in HIV. This means that if would take a longer time for the test to pick up the infection ( since antibodies take a longer time to form)
4)     While the test for HIV can take 3 weeks to 6 months to become positive, it is positive in 97% of the cases by 3 months. I would suggest that you get a repeat test done at 6 months from exposure to be absolutely sure. You don’t need to get tested again at 12 weeks.

The muscle ache and fatigue that you have been experiencing for the last 2 .5 months is most probably due to some other reason.
I would suggest that you see a physician for the constant fatigue and just take it easy. You should be fine soon.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.