Had unprotected sex. Rapid antibody test showed negative. Should I be worried for HIV?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am a female that had unprotected sex on 4 occasions with a male with unknown status. The last encounter was February 14, 2013. I had a rapid antibody test done on March 15, 2013 and again on May 3 which is 78 days from the last encounter at 11 weeks. All tests have been negative. Is it safe to say that I do not have HIV. I have heard that with the new advances of the antibody tests that at 8 weeks results are conclusive??
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
I dont know which test exactly did you have but at 3 months a rapid HIV antibody test is approximately 95% accurate and at 6 months approximately 99% accurate.
If you want to be 100% you should do ELISA test as it is 99 accurate for positive results and 99.9% for negative results. In combination with Western blot it is 100% accurate for both.
Unfortunately rapid anibody tests are never 100% accurate(but close to it) even after 1 year.
It is your choice is this almost negligible risk enough for taking another tests.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.