Had unprotected sex. Pregnancy test positive. How to determine paternity based on conception?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
hello , my girl friend told me last night she is pregnant. Told me that she was due a period at the start of January. We made love on 25/1/13 and 1/3/13 and 11/3/13 and at all times this was unprotected sex.
She did a pregnancy test yesterday and says its positive.

How do l know if this is my child ?
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

From above information, we can't assume the exact duration of pregnancy or when she is pregnant. But I can guide you to determine paternity in this context.

First of all, as she had due period only in the month of January, then she might be pregnant on the month of December if her previous cycle was regular and not missed any. An other thing, she might miss her period due to other reasons like hormonal imbalance, thyroid disorder, ovarian cyst, stress, irregular eating habit, psychological factor, over weight/ extreme loss. Therefore, one ultrasound (USG) scan is very much useful to rule out other pathology (though it gives less data as she is pregnant now). But USG scan definitely estimates her period of gestation and reveals when she conceived. Here, you can also determine whether you did unprotected sex or not particularly on that month.

Secondly, if she had missed/ due period in the starting of January due to other pathological condition, then there is some possibility of being pregnant in the month of January as you did unprotected sex on 25/1/13 & 1/2/13. If those days were fertile period, then it is possible for her becoming pregnant. Positive pregnancy test is achieved 2 weeks after conception and she got it yesterday. Only USG scan can reveal that or confirm the same. Therefore, I suggest you to undergo one USG scan & blood test for beta HCG level at the earliest. After that, you can consult with gynecologist.

Third, if you still have confusion about paternity, then it is better to undergo one DNA test. It is reliable and superior to all other investigation.

Hope I have answered your query and help in determining your paternity. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Be well & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Pregnancy test positive. How to determine paternity based on conception? 6 hours later
my girl friend said that she had her period at the beginning of January. We did have unprotected sex on the 25/1/13 and 01/2/13 and the 11/2/13.
my girl friend said she did another test and result was positive. Says rough estimate three weeks pregnant.
if she did have her period at the beginning of January and first time we had sex was 25/1/13 , then 1/2/13 and 11/2/13 is it possible that l am the father ?
What is the probability that l am the father at this stage ??

Answered by Dr. S Patra 38 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query. I am happy to help you.

In first query, you told that her period was due (means missed) in the month of January and now you are telling that she had period at the beginning of January. This makes a big difference in proper explanation. I think that it was your mistake.

In this context, if she got her period at the beginning of January, then expected due date was in the first week (1st-7th) of February in case of regular 28-30 days cycle. She ovulated in between 19th to 25th January and her fertile days were ranging from 17th to 27th January as per calculation. As you did unprotected sex on 25/1/13 which was included in fertile period, then she might be pregnant in the month of January and your chance of being father is high enough.

But, you should confirm it by doing one ultrasound scan (USG) at the earliest to estimate her period of gestation and month of conceiving. An other thing, you can undergo one DNA test for 100% confirmation and it is superior to all investigation.

I think that I have cleared your doubt. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen.