Had unprotected sex. Periods regular. Do not want pregnancy. What type of medicine should I take?

hello I had unprotected sex with my boy friend April 7, I usually get my period about 28 of every month and I dont want to get pregnant. Please what typy of medicine will i need?
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 28 days later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history.

You are at risk of having pregnancy as you had unprotected sex.

There are emergency hormonal contraceptives available but it should be taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex.

You should go for urine pregnancy test to confirm pregnancy.

Alternatively , you may consult your gynecologist to find out the reason for delayed menses, whether it is pregnancy or something else.
If you have pregnancy and you do not want to have it, doctor may offer mifepristone and misoprostol like drugs for medical termination of pregnancy. But it should be done under strict guidance of gynecologist.

Further, you should use acceptable contraceptives to prevent unwanted pregnancy.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.