Had unprotected sex. Partner has PCOD. What to do to avoid pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hi , I have unprotected sex on 11 th day of the period for a minute. My partner has POCD for that she is taking XXXXXXX But last month she stopped taking XXXXXXX Since today onwards she started taking the same.Kindly help me to avoid the pregancy.we have marriage fixed on end of this year.Before that i dont want to get her to preganet.Please help me
Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

What is the exact time and date of unprotected sexual act?

If the sexual act occurred within the past 72 hours from now, you can ask your partner to take an emergency contraceptive pill with prescription.

Emergency contraceptive pill (like i-pill) is a hormonal pill which should be taken within 72 hours of unprotected sexual act. I advise you to take this pill after consulting her gynecologist.

But this pill has no effect in preventing pregnancy after 72 hours of sexual act.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Partner has PCOD. What to do to avoid pregnancy? 4 minutes later
Date and time :Time is 9-June-13 evening 4:30PM...i called couple of pharmacy in chennai.They said they don't have it.What to do

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 12 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

As there is time to take the emergency contraceptive pill, you can opt this pill for your partner.

Emergency contraceptive pills (like i-pill or unwanted-72) are easily available in the pharmacies and usually they don't need prescription.

It is more effective when it is taken within 24 to 48 hour of sexual act.

They are available in most of big pharmacies and in pharmacies attached to maternity and gynecology hospitals.

One thing to remember is it is an emergency contraception and should not be used as a routine.

For regular contraception I advise to use barrier methods like condoms or oral contraceptive pills on regular basis without missing even a single tablet.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Partner has PCOD. What to do to avoid pregnancy? 2 hours later
Sir..I got Unwanted(mifepristone) tablets(not unwanted 72).Shall i give it to her.please suggest

Tablet name:Unwanted(mifepristone tablets)--Mankind pharma..

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

No, you should not give Unwanted (mifepristone) tablet as an emergency contraceptive pill.

It is a prescribed drug and it is not indicated in emergency contraception.

You should give Unwanted-72 (levonorgestrel 1.5 mg) only.

If you don't get this drug, ask her to consult gynecologist.

Regards.