Had unprotected sex. PG test negative. Started spotting between periods. Chances of pregnancy?

the day of my LMP was september 23 my next expected period was was october 21st instead i got brown discharge and spotting that lasted about 3 days. After ive had mild cramping but no real pregnancy symptoms. Ive taken 3 pregnancy tests and all came out negative but I didnt use first morning urine. the only reason reason i still think i am pregnant is because me and my partner had unprotected sex. What could it possibly be? should i keep testing?
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Since repeated pregnancy tests are negative, pregnancy is not likely. Still it is best to consult a gynecologist who will do a serum beta HCG test and a pelvic ultrasound to confirm or rule out pregnancy.

Other causes are to be considered if pregnancy is ruled out and periods don’t come. They are stress, hormonal imbalance or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause here if pregnancy is ruled out.

I would advice you to get the tests done for pregnancy first. Seek the help of gynecologist accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.