Had unprotected sex. Myalgia started, sore throat, mild fever. Can I have HIV?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Hi,,,, had unprotected sex on april 8th with a sex worker who is doing this for 3 months,,, had condom but broke during vaginal,, received oral without condom,,,my symptoms started to appear next day. Myalgia started next day but present till now intermittently,,, sore throat and very mild fever started after 3 days and disappeared,,,,now canker sores after 16 days and is present till now,,,,, i know hiv symptoms do not appear this early but need u to clear my doubts ,,,,1)after gettin these symptoms and after 3 weeks of exposure can i get hiv symptoms again 2)if this is not hiv ,, then wat am i affected with and wat is the medication ,,,,,,,,anm scared plz tell me what r ur thoughts aboutt these symptoms ,,, must wait for a week to get tested,,, so am scared
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 10 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

As you had pointed out, HIV symptoms cannot occur so early as in your case, that is within a day or two after the risky exposure. It will take at least 3-4 weeks.
So all your symptoms described by you could not be due to HIV infection.
Were you on travel? If so, your sore throat, myalgia and mild fever and all can occur to anybody who is exposed to ordinary bacterial or viral infections from water or food or an air born infection from our neighbours. Canker sore is also a very common phenamena for every one.

You had protected exposure, but condom torn and also you had unprotected oral sex. Many number of individuals remain uninfected after years of regular sex contact with their HIV reactive spouses and they are called as Sero-discordant couple ( the incidence is nearly 30-40%). Moreover the risk after oral sex is very low as per CDC, Atlanta. So there are many chances for you to be uninfected.
As already three weeks over by tomorrow, a HIV COMBO/DUO test or a HIV DNA PCR will indicate the status more conclusively at this stage. So it is better for you not to wait for another a week and get tested as early as possibleto confirm that you not infected and can get relaxed
Good luck to you
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Myalgia started, sore throat, mild fever. Can I have HIV? 10 hours later
Thank u for ur answer,,,i didnt travel anywhere,, what scares me is tat symptoms exactly appeared after exposure,, so is it possible to have an ordinary viral infection after sex,,,,,,,what r test u recommend me to do ,,, which is best testing centre in chennai,,, goin to get tested in 2-3 days,,,,,, does many people get these symptoms n test negative
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Welcome back.

It is quite common to get ordinary viral infection, sore throat and common cold following sex contact because close intimacy of face to face contact and oral contact.
Yes, I have come across in many instances with such kind of symptoms following exposures and HIV found to be negative.

At Chennai, labs like XXXXXXX Scans, Hitec lab etc are doing these tests in a reliable manner. You can go for HIV DNA PCR test and consult a STD physician or HIV physician or YRG Care for further guidance.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Myalgia started, sore throat, mild fever. Can I have HIV? 5 hours later
Thanks for ur answer doctor,,,, heard dna pcr produces false positive more often,, since i hv some infection am scared that it will become such case,,, morever is 24 days after exposure is enough? How much does this test cost,,.is this one test is enough or should i take a conclusive test after 3 months,,,,,,,
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Welcome back.

HIV DNA PCR is more reliable and conclusive after 3 weeks. No further test is necessary. False positive results in DNA PCR is very very rare. It will cost around 2500 INR.
Go ahead. Nothing to worry.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Myalgia started, sore throat, mild fever. Can I have HIV? 34 hours later
Thank u for ur support,,, goin to take test on friday morning,,, i dont know wats gonna b t outcome,,, how many days will take for the results,,,, thank u once again
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 minutes later
You are welcome.

You will find a HIV nonreactive result. Don't worry.
DNA PCR results will be available within 3-4 days.
Good luck to you.
DR S.Murugan