Had unprotected sex. Missing periods. Should I be concerned?

May 2013
hello doc,
i have got married a month ago, my wife is getting their period at 19 every month, but it is delaying now, till now she didn't get their period.its about a week delayed. we are worrying because we don't want any child now. please guide us how many days will it be delay. we had taken precautions during sex, but during 1 or 2 time it is unprotected, but i didn't leave anything inside. Please reply us asap. we are too much worrying about it.
Posted Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 53 minutes later

Sometimes pre-ejaculate fluid can contain few spermatozoa. So, if you had unprotected intercourse around the time of her ovulation then there is possibility for pregnancy.
Now you can go for blood test or home urine test for pregnancy to detect the possibility.
If test comes negative, wait for one more week possibly by that time she will get periods.
If the result comes positive, consult gynecologist once. And undergo ultrasound to confirm the intrauterine pregnancy and to rule out the ectopic pregnancy.
Then according to the gestational age with the doctor's advice your wife can take tablets to terminate the pregnancy.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.