Had unprotected sex. Missing period, feeling abdominal discomfort and light headed. Any ideas?

Mar 2016

well I am 9 days late with my Period, i have an uncomfortable pressure in lower abdomen and have been getting light headded quite frequently in the last 4 days, have been eating more and going to the toilet more also alot more tired. Have had alot of stress lately but have also had unprotected sex however i am on microgynon. what could it be?
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 25 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your history in detail.

Basically pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation and unprotected sex. You are using microgyon contraceptive pill which has more than 99% effectiveness in preventing unwanted pregnancy. It has also some side effects like nausea, vomiting, Change in menstrual pattern,Weight changes, headache/migraine, breast discomfort, mood swing etc.

As your period is 9 days late from expected date, then I suggest to do a home pregnancy test with urine for beta-HCG initially and for confirmation one ultrasound scan (USG) of lower abdomen. It clears confusion of being pregnant in rare cases.

Other possible reasons for delayed period like ovarian cyst, stress/ anxiety, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, thyroid problem, psychological factors, overweight or extreme weight loss etc may be considered if pregnancy is ruled out.

The possibilities can be narrowed by means of several tests such as Ultrasound (USG) lower abdomen, LH / FSH level, blood estrogen & progesterone levels, blood sugar, thyroid profile etc.

In this scenario, a gynecologist can help you in guide through the tests after a physical examination. So please consult with him/her if you get negative pregnancy test.

In the mean time, the following measures can be helpful:
1) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
2) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables & fresh fruits.
4) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.
5) Control body weight by regular light exercise.
6) Take some antispasmodic like tab drotaverine to get rid of cramp.
7) May need one psychological counseling to elevate mood.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & practice safe sex in future by the means of contraceptive pill/ condom/ safe period.

Dr Soumen.