Had unprotected sex. Missed a period, had white discharge. HPT showed faint line and urine test was negative

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi, I am 28 year old. I would like to know if I am pregnant or not. My last menstrual cycle was on April 28th. I regularly have my periods (28 to 30 day cycle). Me and my husband had sex on 2nd May, 8th May, 18th May and 19th May (but no ejaculations in any but unprotected). I had a missed period and also I have been under stress. I had white discharge atleast 4 times from 24th May to XXXXXXX 1st. I did a home pregnancy test on XXXXXXX 1st and XXXXXXX 4th. In both the tests, I had a faint test line and a dark control line. On the same day, XXXXXXX 4th, I got urine test done in one of the labs and they said its negative. Now I am confused. Am I pregnant or not? Please reply ASAP.
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 minutes later

Though the chance of pregnancy is somewhat is less, the possibility cannot be completely ruled out.
Because:
Though you didn't have intercourse on the exact days of ovulation, sometimes ovulation may occur 2 to 3 days earlier or later.
Though there was no ejaculation sometimes pre-ejaculate fluid can contain few spermatozoa.
Urine pregnancy test may not give accurate results in very early pregnancy.

So you once go for blood test for pregnancy. This can give more accurate result in early gestation compared with urine test.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Missed a period, had white discharge. HPT showed faint line and urine test was negative 2 hours later
Thank you Dr, I have a follow up question.

In addition to 3 home determination tests (urine) where I got a faint line in all I approached 2 labs. One says "negative" and another says "weakly positive" and asked me to repeat the test one week later. But I don't want to wait that long.

If its negative, well and good. But I dont want it to be positive. One of my friend suggested a Mifeprin kit. Is it safe for me to take this? Shall i go ahead with it? If yes, how to use it and what are the side effects?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 58 minutes later
No, you should not use the kit without confirmation of intrauterine pregnancy.
First go for blood test for pregnancy. If the test comes negative, no need to worry.
You will get periods soon.
If the test comes positive, consult gynecologist once and undergo ultrasound.
Ultrasound is needed to confirm the intrauterine pregnancy, to estimate the gestational age and to rule out the possibility of ectopic pregnancy.
Then only with her advice you can choose the method of abortion according to your gestational age.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.