Had unprotected sex. Having throat infection. What are the risks of HIV?

Sep 2012

I had unprotected sex two weeks ago with a woman of unknown status. Huge mistake. I didn't notice until afterwards I had a minor open sore caused from masturbation that was aggravated. It was not bleeding, but the tiny scab was opened. Now I am battlng a throat infection and flu-like symptoms( negative for strep and the flu). I am scared to death of acute HIV. What are the chances I could have this? She had no visible signs of blood
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, among the route of transmission of HIV, most important is transmission through blood followed by sexual intercourse. So, you have pretty high chance getting infected. But, here the status of your partner is very much important. If she was positive for HIV, you have very high chance. But, if she was negative, you have low chance of getting the infection.

Now, your symptoms are really confusing. It may occur in any simple throat infection or in case of acute seroconversion. For detection of acute HIV infection, you should do an Elisa test for HIV 1 and HIV 2. If they are noncontributory (as in case of window period), you can do p24 protein assay and DNA PCR for HIV. These are confirmatory tests for HIV infection. If these are negative, the chance of infection is very low.

So, consult with your treating doctor for ordering the investigations mentioned and for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Having throat infection. What are the risks of HIV? 10 minutes later
Are these tests able to be performed accurately this early? I've read that results are not conclusive until the three month period.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

Firstly, Elisa is not conclusive till 6 months from the date of exposure. But, p24 protein indicates inactive viral proteins which are not producing any disease and are not detectable by Elisa. DNA PCR is more specific study.

I am not telling you that, if these tests are negative, then you will not have any disease. I am telling you that negativity of these tests indicates very low chance of getting infected.

And yes, an Elisa test for HIV1 and HIV2 after 6 moths of exposure, will definitely indicates absence of infection.