Had unprotected sex. Having rash on penis and it is tender. Is it a STD or irritation?

Question
Hi, i have had unprotected sex with a male 9 days ago, n now he is calling me saying he has a rash on his penis and it is tender. I have only had sex with 1 other person before him. He thinks i have given him a std. But i have no symptoms, or irritation. If it was a std wouldnt symptoms show up earlier then 9 days?
Im worried now i may have something too, neither of us have access to dr for 2weeks as we work away. How do we know if its a std or just an irritation?
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 53 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern. And I shall try my level best to help you. Let me number and put forward, possible scenarios.

1. I would first like for you to ask your sexual partner, about his previous sexual relationships. When was the last time he had unprotected sexual contact with a person, other than you?

Yes, you are almost accurate in assuming that you too need to have symptoms of the infection(if present), but not completely true. Let me explain why. All infections have something called an 'incubation period'. This period is the time from entry of the infection into the body, till the appearance of the first symptom. Some infections have a few days as their incubation period, some have weeks/months.

Which is why, it is important to note, when your sexual partner had his last sexual contact before you. It could be possible that he has contracted an infection from his previous partner, and not you.

2. But, it is also important to note that different individuals respond/react in a different way. Two individuals having the same infection, one can have symptoms, whereas, the other can be completely asymptomatic.

3. But if you have had any symptoms in the past, you could also be in the 'latent phase', which is an asymptomatic phase of a condition.

4. If you do not have any symptoms, and only he does, it could possibly be an allergic reaction, or even a reaction to a state of being unhygienic, especially after intercourse.

The only way to find out if this is an STD is by the appearance of more symptoms, like:
-Burning sensation while urinating
-Frequent urination
-Increased urge to urinate, but less amount of urine passed
-Chills
-Fever
-Lower abdominal and/or flank region pain
-Itching around the genitals
-Blood in urine or immediately after (not always seen)
-Discharge from penis or vagina
The only other way, is by visiting a doctor and getting tested. Whereas, an irritation will clear up within a few days, without the appearance of any other symptoms.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Having rash on penis and it is tender. Is it a STD or irritation? 39 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for your fast response, his last partner was 2months ago, i'm unsure if he had unprotected sex tho, i have never had symptoms in the past. Ive never even had thrush before.

Should he apply canastein cream for now until he can see a doctor??

Thanks again for all your help and advice, my mind is a little more at easy

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 minutes later
Hi.

I am glad I could be of assistance. Canastein cream(clotrimazole) is used to treat fungal and yeast infections. Yes, it can be used. This will have to be applied (after washing the region) 2-3 times a day, for 2-4 weeks (depending on response).

Although, there are preparations in the market which have a broader spectrum containing antibacterial (if the source of the infection is bacterial), along with anti-fungal (clotrimazole) and anti-inflammatory ingredients. If he can get his hands on this kind of a preparation, it would be much more beneficial. I am unsure about the brands available in Canada and Australia.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion and contact me in the future at: WWW.WWWW.WW
Best wishes.