Had unprotected sex. Have regular periods. Chances of pregnancy?

Question
Hi I just had unprotected sex a few hrs ago first day of my menstration was aug 29 I have regular menses what are my chance of getting pregnant
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild-Moderate

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for your query. If your menses lasted about 4 days, then you would be in the initial phase of the second period of cycle; usually in a perfect world ovulation happens on day 14 and the day of sex would have been about day 9... so not quite there, but there are still chances of pregnancy, as sometimes there are shorter ovulatory cycles.

Again these are only speculations, if you do have a menstrual delay 1 week after your next expected menses, then you should do a pregnancy test then, since a viable pregnancy would produce enough HCG to be detected then

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Have regular periods. Chances of pregnancy? 4 minutes later
Would it be ok to take a morning after pill? I dont want to take the risk... Im from the philippines i think nordette is available here

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Ms XXXXXX,

That would certainly be a good option to avoid taking chances; success rates are usually above 85% when taken appropiately. Side effects from it include "messing up" with the regularity of menstrual cycles and abnormal bleeding (like an earlier menses), along with nausea, and GI intolerance.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Have regular periods. Chances of pregnancy? 2 minutes later
Ok thanks a lot dr

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
God speed

Detailed Answer:
Most welcome, wish you the best health,

Dr B

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Have regular periods. Chances of pregnancy? 17 days later
Hi dr... Im on my 17th day post nordette and up until now i didnt get any bleeding/menstruation. On my 12th day after taking the ecp i really felt bad abdominal cramps tender breasts and back pain up to my scapular area. It was just for a day then after that ive been having on and off PMS like symptoms... Could this be due to the pills that i take?

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
possible side effect

Detailed Answer:
dear ms XXXXXX

indeed some of the symptoms you describe are seen after taking the pill after unprotected sex; there are hormonal changes and may explain some of the remaining symptoms which should gradually resolve; you should continue to monitor your menses; if there is 1 wekk or more of delay a pregnancy test is indicated

truly yours

dr b