Had unprotected sex. Have no symptoms of illness. Underwent STD test. Concerned about HIV infection?

Excellent

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
STD Test Results -Please help me interpret them. I have asked my doctor to give me a general check up for sexual diseases. The doctor was not available when I went to get the results, but I have the results. Please will you go through each one, one by one and LET ME KNOW WHETHER I NEED TO TAKE ACTION (in bold because that's the question I really need answering). Are the tests sufficient and do I need to take action. A bit of background info, I had unprotected sex with a new girl about 2 months ago. And currently I have no symptoms of any illness.
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 1 hour later
Hi
I have gone through your problem as well as the reports.
I COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG FOR WHICH YOU SHOULD GET WORRIED ABOUT.
The only parameter which is deranged is MCHC. You can repeat it some other day or in some other lab. How ever, this parameter is not related to any STDs. There is no more risk of HIV as it is already 2 months past and you are seronegative. Over all I will advice you to stay relaxed. Do go for protected sexual activity in future, if at all any.
Hope it's clear. Ask if you have any more querries.
All the best.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Have no symptoms of illness. Underwent STD test. Concerned about HIV infection? 23 minutes later
Thanks, when you say that I am seronegative for the HIV test, what do you mean? When I see the result as 0.15 and the greyzone definition is 0.9 to 1.5 I think that I'm way below the greyzone. Is that what you mean? The value is so close to zero that you think the HIV chance is very close to zero, in other words I shouldn't worry about it?

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 26 minutes later
You are correct.
The final interpretation will be "YOU ARE HIV NEGATIVE".
The test employed for HIV is immunoassay. The values given in the HIV test reports are optical density of the final reaction. Any value <0.9 exclude presence of HIV antibodies. It is not necessary that always a 0 value will be considered as negative. And in fact, for your information: No HIV negative samples show an optical density of absolute zero.
Hope it's more clear now.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Have no symptoms of illness. Underwent STD test. Concerned about HIV infection? 5 minutes later
Thanks doctor, this is clear.

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 13 minutes later
You are welcome.
I am happy that I could satisfy you.
You can consult us in case any future health related issues, if you feel like.
For now, if you have no more querries you can close the discussion and rate it.
Have a nice day