Had unprotected sex. Had CBC done. all tests normal. Should I worry about HIV?

Feb 2013

9 years ago I stupidly had unprotected sex with someone. I am in good health. I recently had a CBC done and all results were normal. Should I be seriously worried about HIV infection at this point, so long after?
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Unprotected sex is always a risk factor for the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases (STD) including HIV.

CBC is a basic test which shows abnormality of blood pictures like hemoglobin, white cell count, platelet count and it is not a specific test for HIV or any other STDs.

There is a long incubation period for HIV to manifest clinically with symptoms.

There are blood investigations available to screen for HIV and STDs.

HIV will take from days to years to manifest clinically.

Unprotected sex is a risk factor so I advise you to go for screening blood tests for HIV and STDs after consulting your doctor.

This will help you to put an end your worrying about HIV.

And always engage in healthy life style including a protected sexual life style.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Wish you good health.