Had unprotected sex. HPT positive. How to find paternity?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012
Excellent

Question
my girlfriend has told me last night that she did a pregnancy test and the result was positive.
she told me that she did have her period at the beginning of January 2013.
we first had sex on the 25/1/13 , the 1/2/13 and the 11/2/13 , al these times were unprotected sex.
my girl friend did another test today and says result was positive and rough estimate was 3 weeks pregnant.
if she did have her period at the beginning of January and we first had sex on 25/1/13 then could l possibly be the father ?
how would l know at this stage if l am the actual father ?
have only met my girl friend at the beginning of January 2013 and cannot believe that she could be pregnant? This is the second time of asking this question , l did not make it clear that my girl friend did say that she had her period at the start of January 2013 , precise date she did not tell me, but she got worried as she missed her February period.
Please advise if l could be the father as now l assume after two tests she must be pregnant ?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 27 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, you have told that she had her period at the beginning of January. Then, she should have had her period in the last part of January. I am telling you because, in normal condition, a woman in reproductive age group has a normal menstrual cycle of 28 days. It can be delayed for 7 days, but not more than that. According to that her next period was in last part of January or in first part of February.

Now, your given dates are in the last part of January and first and second week of February.

A woman in her menstrual cycle, ovulate on or around 14th day of cycle. So, after 18 days there is very low chance of pregnancy. Because, at that time endometrium enters in secretory phase.

From the above discussion, it is clear, that there is very low chance of pregnancy because of your sex on the aforementioned dates. So, there is very low chance that you could be the father.

At this stage, you cannot do any test for confirmation of paternity. So, you cannot know whether you are the original father or not at this stage.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. HPT positive. How to find paternity? 37 minutes later
can you explain your answer as it differs from doctor patra ?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 17 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, it is a basic logic.

A woman has her cycle normally of 28 days. Suppose, your girlfriend had her period on 2nd january. Now, she generally ovulated on or around 16 th january. A ovum live for 48 hours if it does not get fertilized. That means, she was able to be pregnant upto 18th January. After that there was no chance of pregnancy as there was no ovum.

You had sex on 25th january. It was too late for ovulation.

But here the date of her period in January is very important. Because if she had her period on or after 10 january ( which is not begining of January) then there are chances that you may be the father.

So, it would be better if you can manage to know the date of her period in january.

Hope you have the explanation.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. HPT positive. How to find paternity? 6 minutes later
Can l clarify with you two queries ?
a. if she had period on any time up to 10th January than unlikely she is pregnant and l am father ?

b. if she is claiming she is pregnant then she would be more than 3 weeks as she claims pregnancy test says ?

l realise date of her actual period in January is crucial but what can l do if she continues to be vague as to this date ?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 11 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

I am giving your answers one by one.

1. If she had her period on any time upto 10th January then, it is very unusual that she is pregnant and you are the father.

2. Now, the pregnancy tests cannot tell about the time since fertilization. It only tells about pregnancy. For age of the fetus, ultrasound scan is the gold standard. It will tell about the age of the fetus.

3. At this moment, you have one thing to do.Try to take her for ultrasound scan of whole abdomen. It will tell about the exact age of the fetus. That is very crucial.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.