Had unprotected sex. HIV test result showed out stating (non-reative). Should I go for the test again?

Had unprotected sex eight weeks ago and went for HIV testing last week, test results came out stating (non-reative) The Doctor said I must consider re-testing again after three months. What are the chances that I might test positive after three months or is the first test a good indication that I'am really negative?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

Thanks for your health concerns.

The meaning of the first test is still debatable since you might have been on the window period in which antibodies have not been produced to detectable levels (seroconversion). The highest yield is to repeat the HIV screening 6 months after the risky encounter; by then the enormous vast majority of patients that convert will show up.

Hope this helps, wish you the best, safe sex first!

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Department of Medicine
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases
Mayo Clinic MN