Had unprotected sex, HIV test and Western Blot negative. Is ELISA good enough to confirm absence of HIV?

Good

Dermatologist
Question
Hello Doctor, I had single Unprotected Sex exposure between March 28 to March 31st,2012

After that i undergone HIV test Western blot in May 2nd week 2012 and got result as HIV negative.

Now I have undergone ECLIA test, is it good enogh to confirm that i dont have HIV? sir do i need to undergo HIV western blot test now? am i safe? will i get HIV positive its already 4.5 months from having single unprotected sex with known girl in March 2012 last week, she was known to me from past 6 months. now am not having any thing with her. i also had sex with my wife recntly 1 month back. any problem sir please tell me sir

i have enclosed report of screening ECILA
pls tell me sir

Do i have t take any medicene?

XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 4 hours later
Thanks for your question

Welcome !

I would be pleased to answer your question .

I would suggest that you should perform an HIV DUO test to confirm as it has been 6 months since you had a relation .

This test will check for the Antibodies and p 24 antigen . There is no need to take any medications and mostly the test will be negative .

It is just to reassure you .

Thanks and Take care

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, HIV test and Western Blot negative. Is ELISA good enough to confirm absence of HIV? 10 hours later
Sir, thanks for reply. i dint get feed back on test report i enclosed, ECILA test i undergone on August 17 2012. can u please tell me. and what is HIV DUO and Western blot test? whats difference between them. now its 4.5 months Since i had Single unprotected exposure in March 28 2012. what you suggest HIV DUO or HIV western blot?

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 1 hour later
Thanks for the query posted.

Your reports are suggestive that a test is negative .

HIV DUO testing detects the ELISA antibiodies( which is checked above ECILA method) as well as the second component p 24 antigen ( which has not been checked in your case) The p 24 antigen negative reports gives a diagnostic confirmation of the disease .

Western Blot is also done along with the ELISA test to confirm the diagnosis . p 24 is a little more effective in ruling out the condition .

HIV DUO is what I would suggest as it is a standard test done now a days .

Thanks and Take care

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, HIV test and Western Blot negative. Is ELISA good enough to confirm absence of HIV? 58 minutes later
please suggest me some testing centers for HIV DUO in Bangalore sir.

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 12 hours later
Thanks for your query posted .

Apollo Hospitals or Global hospitals or Metropolis Labs or NM labs should be the places where you can get these tests done
Thanks