Had unprotected sex. Got treated for chlamydia. Have painless bump. Is it due to hair trimming or herpes?

Question
I had unprotected sex about 3 weeks ago with a girl I'd been with for a couple months. She stopped talking to me and I got tested and had got chlamydia from here. I treated it but a few days later I noticed a eraser sized bump that was white in the middle that popped up over night in an area I had just trimmed hair from a week earlier. So for 4 days I tried to pop it but nothing came out, it became a sore and looked to have a hair in it. I tried pulling it out with tweezers and a bunch of hairs around it pulled out too. The next day more red dots showed up and now look like small sores. They seemed to be going away untill I took a hot bath they got infected and are back. Is this herpes? They don't itch or anything or hurt besides a slight irritation feeling. What is this? Should I be worried?
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

What you are having is folliculitis. It is caused by irritation and inflammation of the hair follicles. Since you had shaved recently, so it may be causing folliculitis. It is usually caused by irritation, infections like bacteria and yeasts and other noninfectious skin conditions.

For folliculitis, keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap. Avoid any kind of cosmetics especially greasy cosmetic creams. It can be avoided by exercising good hygiene. Topical antibiotics like Clindamycin and Neosporin which are usually available over the counter are effective. If symptoms persist then you may need oral antibiotics after a doctor’s prescription.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Got treated for chlamydia. Have painless bump. Is it due to hair trimming or herpes? 7 hours later
Is it possible it's herpes? Or did pulling out hairs cause it to spread? I also used a soothing cream for after shaving that I guess was a bad idea. It's gotten better looking twice like it's going to clear up and then the sores got bigger again. Still not much pain or itching though. I did have some soreness in my legs though which I read was a herpes symptom. But could just be a coincidence too. Is it common to get herpes in the pubic area for men?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 19 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Herpes presents as as one or more blisters on or around the genitals or rectum. The blisters break, leaving tender ulcers (sores) that may take two to four weeks to heal and scab over the first time they occur. Herpes Type 2 affects the genitals, pubic area, buttocks, back of thigh or inner thigh.

From your symptoms it looks like folliculitis and pulling out hair can aggravate the condition.