Had unprotected sex. Getting nausea, soreness on breast. HPT negative. Could I be pregnant?

Question
I had been having unprotected sex with my boyfriend this month and for about a week or two after I was nauseated during different times of the day and have these writes twinges and pulling sensations in my abdomens s my breast became sore and I just felt off. I was getting some cramping like I was gonna start my cycle but that went away. I'm not due to start my cycle for two or three more days. I took a early pregnancy test today and it said negative. My question is could I pregnant and it's just not enough hormone to show or was I possibly ovulating? Though I've never been able to feel when I ovulated before I just keep track on a calendar
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 35 minutes later

If you have a history of 28-30 day cycles, you can expect a pregnancy test to show a result 3-7 days after a missed period. Low amount of hormone is not detected and though early detection tests are available their accuracy is doubtful. Instead, you can get a serum beta-hCG assay and this would give you a confirmatory evidence as this is more sensitive and specific.

Your symptoms may not be specific to an early pregnancy but may be seen during the premenstrual phase as well.

Ovulation occurs 14 days prior to the onset of the next cycle usually and you can track it by several means; ovulation kits, cervical mucus testing etc.

Since you have been having unprotected intercourse, the first thing you should exclude if you miss your period is pregnancy. Repeat the urine pregnancy test 3-7 days after the expected period, if you miss it. You may consult your specialist if you need further clarification.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Getting nausea, soreness on breast. HPT negative. Could I be pregnant? 21 hours later
Since I have been having unprotected sex you said the first thing I should EXclude would be pregnancy if I miss a period ?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You should exclude pregnancy as you have been having unprotected intercourse. You may get a home pregnancy test 3-7 days after your expected period, in case you miss it. If you want an earlier confirmation, you can get the serum beta-hCG assay done. You can also get a trans-vaginal sonogram around one week later if you miss a period. The blood test and the sonogram are confirmatory.

Hope I have answered your query. Please get back if you have any more queries. I will be glad to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Getting nausea, soreness on breast. HPT negative. Could I be pregnant? 13 minutes later
So you mean include pregnancy as it may be a possibility?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 9 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Yes, you should suspect pregnancy as you have some of the symptoms of an early pregnancy. If you miss your period, there is a definite chance that you may be pregnant. You can see a specialist for an evaluation and advice.

Hope I have answered all your queries. You may close this discussion if you have no further queries. You can contact me whenever you wish to. I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Getting nausea, soreness on breast. HPT negative. Could I be pregnant? 3 minutes later
Ok. Thanks because those symptoms I have I've never had before. Even with pms or ovulation. Only had cramps and sore breast during pms. But not this pulling twinges in my abdomen and definately no nausea or decreased appetite. Is it possible though for these to be new pms symptoms that I never experienced before

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

You are right. Premenstrual symptoms can vary and are so much similar to early pregnancy symptoms and this is why I suggested that you exclude pregnancy if you happen to miss your period. Nausea is felt when there is excess estrogen in the body in non-pregnant states and obviously is one of the early symptoms of pregnancy. Just wait for your period which is anyway due and everything is going to be sorted out.

Hope this was useful. I will be glad to answer any further queries.

regards,
Shanti.V.