Had unprotected sex. Found spot on inner labia, started itching. Genital warts or herpes?

Unprotected sex last Saturday, itching Monday, just found one spot on inner labia. Don't know if itch is thrush or genital warts or herpes?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello I would be happy to help you with your question.

You have obviously have done your homework. Here are some key points about the different problems you have listed:

1. Thrush / vaginal infection - usually presents as a whitish discharge with itching, discomfort, and no odor. It is not associated with isolated lesions or spots. This is not considered an STD.
2. Genital warts - Theses are extremely common. As an individual lesion, they can be quite small and difficult to see. They are usually whitish and have an irregular surface, much like the head of a cauliflower.
3. Herpes - These usually present as a blister that is filled with a clear fluid, and surrounding red base. They are usually PAINful.

So, common things first - you have itching, so treat it like a yeast infection. Start with anything over-the-counter and if that does not work, then get in to see a doctor. It is uncertain if the spot on the inner labia represents anything that you listed. You can make the conclusion on your own based on what I said and described, or you can get in to see a doctor and have them take a look.

I hope that this helps!