Ask a Urologist   »  

Had unprotected sex. Feeling uncomfortable and developed rashes on penis. What are the risks?

Question
I had sex with a long term girlfriend (who was a virgin) recently. She was taking the pill so we did not use a condom. The day after my penis started feeling quite uncomfortable and since then I have developed a rash on the tip of my penis which occasionally can be very uncomfortable but most of the time isn't too bad. However, the same thing happened when I first had sex without a condom with my ex-girlfriend but after it cleared up (after about 2 weeks) it never happened again and we were having sex for about a year and a half after that. I'm fairly sure it can't be an STD as the two girls I've had sex with were virgins but it is quite uncomfortable and I would like to know if there is a way of healing it quickly and also avoiding it in the future?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that you have balanitis which is inflammation or infection of foreskin/head of the penis.It can result for bacterial or fungal infection, harsh soaps, not rinsing off soap properly, uncontrolled diabetes.
It can cause a rash like you are experiencing, redness, some persons have pain and a discharge.
One of the most common causes is fungal or yeast infection, so you can try treatment with a topical antifungal.
If it does not resolve or worsens then you may want to consider visiting your doctor for an assessment.

I hope this answers your query, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Feeling uncomfortable and developed rashes on penis. What are the risks? 45 minutes later
Thanks for the response.
Last time I had it, it went after a couple of weeks or less. So I assume it will do the same this time.

What I'd also like to know, however, is am I likely to get it again? And is there anyway of treating it so that it will not return? Or is it one of those things that just comes up occasionally and I will just have to wait for it to go each time?

Thanks

Hi, if you notice that it is related to any particular soap, cream or lotion that you use then you can limit use.
Ensure that the soap is completely washed off and there is no collection of smegma.

Other than the above there is no way of preventing future episodes.

Feel free to ask anything else