Had unprotected sex. Did not ejaculate during sex. Any likelihood of getting pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
HI,
My girlfriend and I had unprotected sex. She has PCOD and therefore doesn't like to use Emergency contraceptive pills as it gives her lower abdominal pain(on both sides). During sex, I cleaned my penis (to avoid any precum) with a cloth and did not ejaculate during sex. Also, there was only slight penetration since she complains of pain during sex with greater penetration. Given all these facts, do you think there is any likelihood of her getting pregnant?
Also, three days ago we had sex. She took an emergency contraceptive pill for the first time ever. But since the past two days she is suffering from lower abdominal pain. I have given her Meftal Spas. Should I give her any other medicine? When will the pain subside?

Thanks.
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 29 minutes later
hi,

though the chances of pregnancy are less according to your description, we cannot completely rule out as even few spermatozoa can lead to conception and emergency pills can have some failure rate depending on the gap between act and pill,
in case of regular periods if intercourse occurred around the time of ovulation then there is more possibility, if not the possibility is less,
emergency pill can cause pain abdomen as side effect, it will usually subside, if not you can give her antispasmodic tablet twice or thrice depending on severity, if still pain persists better to consult gynecologist once to rule out pelvic inflammatory disease, narrow vaginal os etc, you can go for lubricant and analgesic jelly like xylocaine during intercourse, and also better to go for regular contraceptive method like oral pills which will give protection from pregnancy and also decrease the symptoms of PCOD.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.