Had unprotected sex. Chances of having HIV?

Hi I am 27 year old female. I had sex with a white male who is 30 years old and is a coworker. I did not use a condom and he pulled out an did not come inside of me but did come. He said he had gotten tested a few moths back and I didn't have to worry, but I know he sleeps around a little but uses protection most of the time. Do you think this is high risk for HIV infection, I am worried because I always use protection and this was a one time mistake. Please let me know if you think I am at risk, thank you
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later

HIV can be transmitted only if your partner is suffering with it.

As you did not use protection, chances of transmission of HIV are there if your partner is infected now. Since he sleeps around, the chances of infection are present.

The antibody tests for HIV take about 3 months to become positive. So you would need to be tested with the antibody tests 3 months after exposure. If it’s negative, you need to be re-tested at 6 months. The test that needs to be done is ELISA. If it’s positive, you need to follow up with a Western Blot.

PCR test becomes positive 2-3 weeks after exposure.

In this period, you have to ensure that you are not exposed to anything that can possibly transmit HIV.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Chances of having HIV? 2 hours later
Yes it does answer my question, but I am asking you about probability. I want to know the realistic probability of being infected. He is a white straight male with no history of intravenous drug use but even if e was HIV positive am I totally going to get infected?? I heard that it is actually hard for HIV to be traansmitted
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If he is actually infected then the rate of transmission of infection after an unprotected sex depends on the viral load of the individual. Usually the chances of getting an infection are nearly 2%.
It is best to get yourself tested after 3 months from the time of exposure.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.