Had unprotected sex. Bump on vagina started bleeding. Am I at risk of HIV?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012

Dermatologist
Question
I recently shaved my vagina and I had unprotected sex and realize the bump was bleeding am I at risk for HIV or is the other person is
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
At the outset, if you are not currently HIV positive or have been tested for the same in the recent past, where is the question of your transmitting the same? Are you aware of the other person's HIV status? If not, yes any unprotected sexual act with or without 'obvious' bleeding is to be considered 'at risk'. Having said that, if still in touch with the partner, please do ascertain if he/she is a carrier. If negative & so are you, then the risk is marginal. Please do ensure safe sexual practices in the future. This time you may be lucky to get off scot-free..why take the risk when you have your full life ahead of you? It is unclear when exactly this sexual exposure did happen..& going by the time period elapsed after said contact, please do the appropriate test for HIV in your local laboratory to be extra sure. Cheers & Good Luck..Stay safe & happy while enjoying your sex life!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist & Venereologist