Had unprotected oral sex. What medication should I take to protect myself from STI?

Question
i am a 47 year old man, i recived oral sex 15 hours ago unprotected from an unknown person.
is there something i can do or take in order to protect my self now form sti?

some medidine i can take now?

thanks
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Unprotected oral sex has risk of sexual transmitted diseases (like- herpes, syphilis, HIV, HPV, gonorrhoea, Chlamydia etc.).

Most of these have different incubation periods and may manifest over time.

So you need not to take any medication right now. As there are a numbers of sexual transmitted diseases and every disease has different treatment.

Do a STD profile test if you have symptoms like Ulcer on penis, Discharge and pain over the testicles etc. and if you don’t have any symptoms do the same test after 4 weeks because STD sometimes don’t produce any symptoms and this test need at least 4 weeks time to become positive.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Wish you good health.
Thanks,
Dr Sourav Ganguly

Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. What medication should I take to protect myself from STI? 18 minutes later
can i have sex with my partner?

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 17 minutes later

You can have sexual intercourse with your partner but please follow some basic points till you have your STD profile done.

1.     Use latex condoms every time you have sex. (If you use a lubricant, make sure it's water-based.) Use condoms for the entire sex act. They are extremely effective if used properly. Condoms are 90% effective at preventing STD.

2.     Avoid sharing towels or underclothing.

3.     Wash before and after intercourse.

Thanks,
Dr Sourav Ganguly

Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. What medication should I take to protect myself from STI? 24 minutes later
for the std test how much time has to pass after the oral sex ocurred in order to be tested?

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 3 hours later
Many of the STD tests need at least 4 weeks’ time after oral sex to become positive.
Wish you good health.
Thanks,
Dr Sourav Ganguly