Had unprotected oral sex. Tested negative for herpes. Is leukaemia caused by virus or blood disorder?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Doctor my ex-girlfriend and I engaged in unprotected sex. That was over two year ago. I have been tested for everything including HTLV 1/2 which, and Herpes 1/2, everything has been negative. I found out her ex before me had leukemia. Since doctors have said leukemia can be caused by viruses and is a blood disorder, do I have a heightened risk of leukemia now, because her ex had leukemia?
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later

You have already tested for all tests including HTLV 1 and 2, which may sometime be the etiology (cause) for Leukemia, not always, and the outcome of the same were negative for you. Therefore, you need not worry about the possibility of Leukemia in your case.

Sexual transmission of HTLV1 and 2 are also varied geographically, not as common as that of HIV, HBV OR HCV. Therefore, there is nothing to worry as well.

Please practice strict safe sex to avoid such tension.

Just a word for you – though Leukamia can be caused by virus, it is primarily a disorder of the blood. Sexual mode of transmission of Leukamia is not seen.

Now ease yourself and get rid of it. Do write back if you have more queries.

Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Tested negative for herpes. Is leukaemia caused by virus or blood disorder? 28 minutes later
Yes Doctor one more question,

My HIV test was an ICMA 1/O/2 test and the result was negative. Is this a reliable test, like the Elisa. Would it detect strain N as well? My exposure of concern is as follows: There was some red stuff in my girlfriends room, it looked like blood but I don't know. I am pretty sure it had been there days, if not even months. I may have touched it, and am worried about HIV. I am worried this test might miss the rare n or other rare strains, would it detect them.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 29 minutes later

Thanks for posting your feedback query.

ICMA HIV Test is equally as good as an ELISA, highly reliable. Only thing is when you underwent this test. If it is after 3 months of your suspected exposure then the negative test is valuable and you need not worry about HIV as well. If it is not done after 3 months, repeat the test after 3 months once again ad get it cleared that you were not infected. That is all.

Regarding N strain et al, it is only for scientists and not for you. It is rare distribution and geographical specificity is there. All strains can be detected by this test. You need not worry about the same.

Seeing red stuff in your girl friends room, thinking that you had touched and it could possibly blood are immaterial. Blood kept for months are not infectious. If your test is negative, 3 months after your suspected exposure then just off shoulder your worries about HIV.

Good luck to you.

Dr S.Murugan